I love making a large ham when they are on sale this time of year. After the initial meal, I am always looking for different ways to use the leftovers. This casserole is super easy to make, is a great after-holiday breakfast (or even brunch or dinner), and was a huge hit in my house. Traditional recipes also call for green chilies and green onions, however, my husband has very *basic* tastes and prefers the recipe simple ~ meat, cheese, potatoes and eggs.
It also freezes well! I made 2 extra pans of it this go round. We are expecting baby #2 in February so I am trying to stock the freezer with easy meals for when we come home from the hospital. By writing the instructions right on the top I have husband-proofed the making of this meal! Simply prepare without cooking, cover tightly with plastic wrap and foil, place instructions on packaging, and freeze.
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease 8 x 8 baking pan.
- Cover bottom of baking pan with frozen hash browns.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Top with ham and then remaining cheese.
- Whisk eggs and evaporated milk together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour eggs into baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes until eggs are firm.