Even though the temperatures have dropped, we are still getting a ton of great fresh local apples. I love baked apples but I don’t always plan far enough ahead of time to make them for dessert and sometimes, I just want one after everyone else has gone to bed.
This recipe is the perfect easy solution to a baked apple that is also very healthy!
- 1 apple
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T brown sugar
- 1 T oatmeal
- 1/2 T. chopped pecans
- 1/2 T. dried cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 T. apple or orange juice
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
- Peel apple. Using a small ice cream scoop or spoon, scoop out the core of the apple leaving the bottom in tact.
- In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, oats, pecans, cranberries and cinnamon. Add the butter in small pieces.
- Pour the juice into the bottom of a small bowl. Add apple. Stuff the apple with the filling. If there is too much just let it fall over the sides.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Top with vanilla ice cream.