I have been wanting to make scones for a long time. I love getting them when I go out for coffee but I always thought they must be so hard to make (after all, look what Starbucks charges for one).
Well let me tell you, scones are super easy to make! I am so excited I finally tried making them. I have a feeling I will be doing this a lot more often. By making them at home you control the ingredients and you can get a lot more for your money and have breakfasts ready for the rest of the week.
I like this recipe because it has the sweet cinnamon/sugar combination that makes snickerdoodles great, but it isn’t overly sweet. We are going vegetable picking on Sunday and I have a feeling my next scone adventure will be pumpkin spice scones!
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole grain pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt and egg; refrigerate until needed.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cream of tartar, and cinnamon until combined.
- Add butter and pulse until butter is in pea-sized pieces. Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture; fold with spatula until just combined.
- Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface. Knead dough 6 to 8 times, until it just holds together. Shape into an 8-inch circle. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar topping.
- With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Place wedges on prepared baking sheet and bake 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.