Our garden is overflowing with tomatoes right now. One of my favorite recipes to make when I have a bunch of good, homegrown tomatoes is pizza/pasta sauce. This recipe is made to be thicker so that it holds up for pizzas, but it is just as good as a pasta sauce.
- 2 cups fresh seeded Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 3 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp. basil, oregano, or any combination of herbs you like
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Heat olive oil on medium-low. Stir in herbs, red pepper, and garlic salt and let sit for 20 seconds. This brings out the flavor of the herbs and spices.
- Add tomatoes and sugar, stir, and simmer, uncovered at least 20 minutes (I reduced it for closer to one hour until the sauce was super thick).
- If a thinner sauce is wanted, mash up with a potato masher.
- Better taste is attained if left to sit overnight in the refrigerator.