I know many of you may be thinking you don’t like sardines, but if you like tuna there is a good chance you like sardines too. Sardines are to the Mediterraneans what tuna is to most Americans. Don’t shy away from the sardines with skin and bones on, and don’t discard any of it: You won’t see them in the finished dish – plus, that’s where all the flavor and nutrition are! This salad is great plain, over lettuce, or in a sandwich. I like to serve it plain – but topped with Swiss cheese like a traditional tuna melt.
- 2 cans sardines, skin and bones on - 1/2 oil drained
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup radish, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- pepper to taste
- pinch red pepper flakes
- Mash sardines with the tahini with a fork in a bowl.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well.
- Serve over a bed of lettuce, plain, or on a sandwich. Top with Swiss cheese if desired.