All calories are not created equal. This recipe is packed with Omega-3 fatty acids, whole grains, protein, fiber, and much more!
I know some people say it is all about calories in and calories out, and it doesn’t really matter what you eat if you have the right ratio. I think that is crazy! 350 calories of a slice of cake is in no way equal to this salad. This salad contains 40% of your daily fiber which means it will fill you up and keep you full through your next meal. It contains 22 grams of protein which will give you sustained energy and you won’t suffer from the sugar rush- then crash that a sugary sweet treat provides. It also contains 12 grams of healthy fats from tuna, avocado and olive oil. Just a few additional bonuses, this recipe contains 168% of the USDA recommended amount of Vitamin A and 155% of Vitamin C.
This recipe comes together easily and is great for summer because you don’t have to cook anything. Place the dressing in a separate container and it is the perfect meal for a picnic.
- 1 can tuna (5oz)- drained
- 1/2 cup canned corn - drained
- 1 cup bell pepper - chopped
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini - chopped
- 1 cup carrot - chopped
- 1 cup radish - chopped
- 1 cup green onions - chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro - chopped
- 12 grape tomatoes - sliced in half
- 1/2 avocado - chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lime - zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves - grated
- Combine all ingredients through tomatoes in a large bowl and toss to combine.
- Place dressing ingredients in a air tight container and shake to combine.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss once more to combine.
- Serve over cooled quinoa.
- Top with avocado.
Carbohydrates: 44 Sugar: 9 Fiber: 10 Protein: 22