I am always looking for healthy burger alternatives. I have tried to make my own veggie and bean burgers before, but they always fall apart and are too dry. The other day I was at the gym working out and one of the trainers brought in a quinoa burger that smelled amazing… she shared her secret – cottage cheese. I can’t stand the stuff on its own, but in these burgers it is amazing!
My hubs is a very meat and potato guy, so I wasn’t even going to try and pass these off on him. I was worried that they would be too different for my daughter so I made her a regular hamburger tonight too. I really need to stop underestimating her sophisticated palette for healthy foods. She ate a half of a quinoa burger and LOVED it!
- 2 rounded cups cooked quinoa
- 3/4 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 medium carrot, finely grated
- 1/4 large onion, finely grated
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil for frying
- Cook quinoa to package instructions and cool.
- In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, carrot, onion, eggs, flour, and spices.
- Heat a frying pan and a couple teaspoons olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Mixture will be slightly sticky, so using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, drop mixture into pan and lightly flatten to 1/2 inch thick.
- Fry until golden-brown, about 5-8 minutes on each side.
- Serve with guacamole and pico de gallo.
Linked up at: Hearth and Soul Hop