Beer Cheese Potato Soup

My husband LOVES beer cheese soup!  There was a restaurant we went to all the time when we were first dating, and he would always get their beer cheese soup.  When we were getting ready to move to New Jersey I tried to con one of the waitresses into giving us the recipe, or at least the majority of the ingredients.  My husband was heartbroken, and I was sickened, when she told us that it just came in a powder form that they mixed with milk!  I have been on a quest ever since (almost 10 years now) to make a great beer cheese soup.  I recently got my MIL’s recipe for her cheesy potato soup that my husband loves and decided, what if I did a mash-up of the two.  I tried this out over the weekend and it was a hit!  Finally!!

Beer Cheese Potato Soup
3 T butter ($0.30)
1/4 large onion grated ($0.05)
1/4 c flour (I used whole wheat) ($0.10)
15 oz. vegetable stock (I always use homemade) (free)
1/2 a bottle of beer (pick one you like since you will drink the rest!) ($1- since you drink the rest I counted for the whole beer)
2 c. potatoes, peeled and cubed (I used a mix of organic red and russet) ($2)
1 c. milk ($0.35)
1 c. Velveeta (I know, it is gross but it is what hubs likes…if it was just for me I would use a sharp cheddar) ($0.85)
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 T. paprika
1/4 tsp dry mustard
freshly ground pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven.  Grate the onions with a hand grater.  *(Hubs loves the taste of onion but cannot stand biting into one, no matter how small. This technique works great!)  Add the onions and saute 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Add the flour and stir to coat, cooking the raw flour for a couple minutes.  Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and beer, stirring well. (it works best if it is warmed)  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently.

When the mixture has thickened slightly, add the potatoes and continue to simmer, approximately 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through.  Mash the potatoes with a potato masher.  It is ok to have a few small chunks but this really give the soup a nice consistency.

Add milk, cheese, and spices. Stir constantly over low heat until cheese is smooth.  Now, if you don’t care so much to have it meatless, add some homemade bacon bits before serving.  Add pepper, and salt if necessary.

Serves 4 (well, if you are my husband and eat only the soup and come back for seconds, it is closer to 2-3, lol)

Total cost: $4.65

As always, check out Meatless Monday for great tips and recipes to make this program a success in your household.

Linked up at:
Tuesdays at the Table
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday
Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
Tasty Tuesday Parade of Foods

About Amanda

Amanda Larson is a mother, wife, lawyer and aspiring cook. She truly believes that you can live green and eat well while sticking to a budget. Through her posts she shares her tips on how she does it!

Comments

1. All Things Yummy says:

yum, that sounds delicious and includes my favorite ingredients- potatoes and cheese.

2. tawna6988 says:

Blog hopping today and am your newest follower. I hope that 1 of my blogs interests you too.

I also do a weekend blog hop, you can link up on tawnasplan.blogspot.com open every Friday-Sunday!
    Thanks
    Tawna

3. Shannon says:

I love cheese soup, but never tried it with these ingredients. I'd probably be like your husband and finish the rest of the soup. Thanks for sharing!

4. I am a new follower on the I Love My Online Friends Monday Hop and I am now following you thru GFC. I have someone working on my blog today and when you go on it as I just did it is still in process but you can GFC me and just leave a comment in any of the past articles. Hopefully, by tomorrow, I will have all my buttons back up. Thanks for the follow back.

Mary @ http://mmbearcupoftea.blogspot.com

5. Mommyto3andahusky says:

I just found your blog and I love it! :) I became your newest follower! :) Great blog!

6. shopannies says:

our kids love cheese but I have never used beer in our cheese recipes

7. Marni's Organized Mess says:

This sounds really good and different. I am totally going to bookmark this!

Come over and say hello sometime! Or, come to win of my giveaway's; Thirsties Cloth Diaper, Rockin' Green Detergent, Baby Bond Nursing Cover (great gift idea too!), or Roundabout Cupcake Sleeves. They all have more than a week with very low entries!

8. ShanimalsCrackers.blogspot.com says:

Thank you for reading my blog and following. I'm now following you. By the way, I wanna try this recipe sometime. Thanks.

9. Robertson's says:

Sounds Delicious! Thanks for sharing : )

10. Dutch Girls Favorite Things says:

`This sounds really good. I am going to try it with the sharp cheddar like you suggested.

11. tubbytelly at gmail dot com says:

Okay, my husband's two favorite things! We have to try this.

Trackbacks

1. [...] Ham and White Bean Soup for me, Beer Cheese Potato Soup for hubs (both will cook all day in our crock [...]